Monday, February 13, 2012

Thinking outside the Box.

"A child plays more with a box, no matter how many toys they have."

When I heard these words it completely changed the way I saw the world.  It also gave me the ability to see the world through my child's eyes. Suddenly the ordinary things had become interesting to me and here I am: sitting on a floor with my son, thinking how to turn an idea into reality. This is how a simple box has become a car garage, then it was turned into a house, a bed, a table and so on, so on, so onnnnnn.

Our first garage was made from a diaper box... As my son was growing, the garage has been evolving with his imagination. For example, in this case if you move the slides, up and tape them... ta-da! it's a house now!



Step 1- Open the bottom of the box and remove the tabs, save the tabs for later use.
Step 2- Cut a door way large enough for cars to enter and exit
Step 3- Flip the box right side up, open two tabs like wings, tape extra tab from the bottom to form a ramp. Close with tape.
Step 4- Add personal decorations as needed.

Creativity is fun! We love decorating using colors, stickers of favorite characters and more. This time that my son and I spend together will leave a lasting impression on him and allow him to be constructive later on in life when the situations calls for creative solutions.

 Things that you'll need:
- any size box
- kitchen scissors/ knife
- tape
- stapler
- decorations


So many things, we adults consider as trash is a toy for our children. A Shampoo bottle, once empty and cleaned becomes a fountain, boat or experiment??? The possibilities are only limited by your willingness to explore.

Childhood is a magical time. And thanks to our children we, parent, can live this time period again.




No comments: